Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I'm driving from baton rouge to san antonio through houston and see I10 and the big loop that is houston. just curious as to how to get through or around this area. the best way, fastest, least amount of traffic, best times etc....|||Your best bet is to leave Baton Rouge in the morning, say around 6AM. That will put you into Houston, at I-10 and the East Loop (610) at around 10, maybe a bit earlier.

You've missed the morning rush hour (between 7 and 9). Just stay on I-10. There's no need to get on 610, as it won't save you any time.

Warning. There is construction on the Katy Freeway (what we call I-10, west of downtown Houston) that will slow you down a bit. At that time of day you won't be sitting in stop-and-go traffic, but you won't be doing 80 either. The mess clears up, for the most part, after you pass under Beltway 8 on the west side. Downtown San Antonio is about 180 miles west of I-10 and Beltway 8. You should be there by about 1PM, 1:30 on the outside.

The total trip is about 470 miles, from downtown Baton Rouge to downtown S.A. That's about a 7 hour drive, taking in a stop for gas/meal/bathroom and some Houston slowdowns.

Another advantage of leaving in the morning is that you don't have the sun in your eyes for the drive (which you do get if you leave at noon... you see it for the last two hours).|||The best way is just to stay on I10 through Houston. Don't take the loop 610 because it can be just as crowded and is under contruction/repair most of the time.

Try to hit Houston at mid-morning or mid-afternoon and you should be alright, unless it's raining.

Avoid Houston freeways if at all possible from about 6-9 am and from 4-8 pm.|||Take I- 10 west all the way to San Antonio|||Mapquest.com
I prefer it over Yahoo Maps|||Remain on I-10 and follow the signs. Do not get on the 610 Loop!!! Continue on I-10.|||I agree with William's answer, and I just want to add that when you're on the east side of Houston, the traffic is much better than it is on the west side of town, even during rush. It's one of the only major arteries that doesn't slow to a crawl. So even if your timing's a bit off and you hit Channelview around 8:30 or 9:00am, you're fine.|||I would recommend using the daily Amtrak train between these cities as it is low cost and low stress!

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment